Step by step instructions to Transfer Windows 10 License to a New Computer
The best part about Windows 10 is that you simply can transfer the license key to a different computer just in case you’re upgrading your machine or moving to a replacement computer. It saves you from spending big dollars which is basically great on Microsoft’s part. So, during this article, we are getting to show you ways to transfer a Windows 10 license to a replacement computer. we’ve shared two simple methods so you’ll move to a replacement PC without much friction. additionally , we’ve also explained some specific details which can assist you find whether your license key’s transferrable or not. Now having said that, let’s start the article without further delay.
Is Your Windows 10 License Transferrable?
You can only transfer a Windows 10 license if you’ve got a Retail key– either purchased from a store or online portal (a digital copy). you’ll check the sort of product key by following these steps. Press Windows and R keys directly and sort “cmd”. Here, type slmgr -dli and hit enter. A panel will appear with the outline of the product key. If it shows retail then you’re good to go . However, if it shows OEM then sadly, you can’t transfer the license to a different computer.
Apart from that, you want to make sure the same edition of Windows 10 is installed on both the computers. for instance , if you’ve got an activated Windows 10 Home PC then you’ll only transfer the license to a different Windows 10 Home PC.
Also, if you’re swapping a replacement hard disc on an old laptop or PC then you don’t need to do anything. Just do a freshinstallation of Windows 10 and therefore the OS will automatically pick the productkey since the license is tied to the motherboard. you only need to choose the right edition during the installation. Having said that, if it asks for a product key during the method , simply choose “I don’t have a product key” and proceed with the installation. Later, Windows 10 will automatically activate itself after connecting to Microsoft servers.
So those are some key points to stay in mind before transferring a Windows 10 license. If you fulfill these criteria, you’ll go ahead and move to a replacement PC together with your license intact.
1. Transfer Windows 10 License Key
1. First and foremost, open the beginning menu and look for “cmd”. Now, click on “Run as administrator” within the sub-section.
2. then , type the subsequent command and hit enter to de-register the product key from your old computer.
3. Now, execute another command to remove the product key from Windows Registry.
• Re-activate Windows 10 License on New Machine
1. you’ve got successfully removed the Windows 10 license from your old computer. Now, move to your new computer and open prompt during a similar fashion as described within the above section.
2. Replace “xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx” together with your actual product key and execute the below command. Voila, you’ve got successfully transferred your Windows 10 license to a replacement system.
slmgr.vbs ,ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
3. Alternatively, you’ll follow this path to activate the new computer: Start Menu -> Settings -> Update & security -> Activation -> Change the product key. Here, enter the license key and you’re done.
4. If the new machine remains not activatedthen you’ll call Microsoft Support to manually transfer the license key. To do so, press Windows and R keys directly and alittle Run window will appear at the left corner. Now type the below command and hit enter.
5. An activation wizard window will open up. Here, select your country and click on on the “Next” button.
6. you’ll find the toll free number of Microsoft Support. Call them and supply your Installation ID as shown on the screen. Following that, you’ll get a confirmation ID from Microsoft Support.
7. Click on the “Enter Confirmation ID” button and fill within the details. Now, click on the “Activate Windows” button and eventually your new PC are going to be activated.
2. Transfer a Windows 10 License with Microsoft Account
If you hold a retail-digital license of Windows 10 then moving to a replacement system is even easier. Follow these steps below to seamlessly activate your new computer.
1. On your old computer, open Settings -> Accounts -> Your Info and click on on “Sign in with a Microsoft Account Instead”. Now, enter your account credentials and link the PC to your Microsoft account.
2. then , open Settings -> Update & security -> Activation and check if it’s showing “Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account”. If so, you’re good to go .
3. Now, move back to your new computer and check in with the same Microsoft account. then , open Settings -> Update & security -> Activation and you’ll find your new system is activated.
Save Money by Transferring Windows 10 License Key
So those are the 2 ways you’ll transfer a Windows 10 license to a different computer. Both methods are quite simple and easy so you’ll easily get a licensed copy without spending extra bucks. I even have also shared some alternate ways to re-activate Windows 10 on the new computer just in case you face any problem. Having said that, if you’re still unable to transfer your Windows 10 license then comment down below and allow us to know. we’ll surely attempt to assist you out.