How to Get and Install Skype for Chromebook
While Zoom is more of an enterprise solution, Skype, on the opposite hand, remains popular among general consumers. It’s clean, video calls are smooth, has some really useful features, and available on a variety of platforms and devices. to not mention, with the new web-first approach, Microsoft has brought Skype to Chromebooks also . which isn’t all. There are multiple ways to urge Skype for Chromebook working seamlessly. So during this article, we bring you an in depth guide the way to install and run Skype on a Chromebook with some helpful tips along the way. thereupon in mind, let’s see how you’ll use Skype on your Chromebook in 2020.
3 Ways to urge Skype for Chromebook Working (2020)
There are particularly 3 ways you’ll get Skype performing on your Chromebook. the primary one is that the Web App which is, by far, the simplest thanks to access Skype on a Chromebook. then , we’ve Android and Linux apps. we’ll discuss all the methods, but let’s start with the online app first.
• Get Skype for Chromebook Working: Web App
Apart from offering native apps, Microsoft has moved its prized video-conferencing app to the online . Now, you’ll seamlessly access Skype on a Chromebook using the Chrome browser. It comes with support for call notifications, screen sharing, and therefore the recent, Skype Meet Now feature. Simply put, you won’t miss any of the main features from the desktop app. Now having said that, let’s get to the steps.
1. Open web.skype.com on Chrome and log in together with your Microsoft account.
2. then , you’ll instantly be taken to the most dashboard which is pretty almost like the desktop app. you’ll chat, make a video call, start a group call with Skype Meet Now, and more.
3. As you’ll see, Skype on Chromebook now supports screen sharing, floating window, real-time subtitles, and tons more.
4. i might recommend you to enable notification from the padlock icon on the address bar to receive video call and message notifications. Having said that, you would like to stay Skype open within the background to receive notifications. you’ll create a standalone app from the below step to form it easier to manage notifications and Skype overall.
5. Click on the 3-dot menu and move to “More Tools”. Here, click on “Create Shortcut”. Finally, enable “Open as window” and click on on “Create”. Now Skype Web will behave more like an app, with a separate icon within the launcher. you’ll even pin Skype on the Shelf.
• Use Skype on Chromebook: Android App
If you’ve got Play Store support on your Chromebook then you’ll use the Android variant of Skype on your Chromebook. In my testing, it worked pretty much , but you don’t have access to a number of the desktop features like background blur and real-time caption. Nevertheless, as it’s an Android app, you’ve got full support for notifications which is great. you’d get Skype notifications even when the app isn’t open within the background. Also, the Android app has offline support so you’ll access Skype chats without having a lively internet connection. Here is the way to set about it.
1. Open the Play Store on your Chromebook and install Skype (Free).
2. Now, log in to your Microsoft account and you’ll be ready to access most of the main features of Skype. i might say, the Android app is basically good if you would like all-time notification and offline support.
• Get Skype for Chromebook Working: Linux App
Among all the versions of Skype, the Linux app seems more sort of a solid desktop app on Chromebook. Almost everything works pretty much and there’s no Terminal tweaking required. It can even receive notifications if the app is closed the background. But there’s one problem and it’s a glaring one. Linux on Chromebook still doesn’t have access to the webcam thanks to virtual machine restrictions and as a result, Skype can’t use the webcam. The microphone works fine out of the box so there’s that. to place it straight, if you would like Skype for voice calls and chats then the Linux app may be a specialized option on Chromebook.
1. First of all, set up Linux on your Chromebook by following the linked guide. If the Linux option isn’t available in Settings then it means your Chromebook doesn’t have support for Linux.
2. Next, open the Skype download page and choose “Get Skype for Linux DEB” from the menu . it’ll download the Skype installer on your Chromebook in DEB format.
3. After downloading the installer, open the “Files” app and double-click thereon to install Skype on your Chromebook. Next, hit the “Install” button.
4. Finally, after the installation, you’ll find Skype under the Linux folder inside the launcher. Open it, check in and you’re done. in order that is how you’ll get Skype for Chromebook working through the Linux app.
Note: If you’re facing problems initially, close Skype and re-open the app a couple of times.
Install Skype on Chromebook and luxuriate in Seamless Video Calls
So those are the 3 ways you’ll run Skype on Chromebook without much issue. As I said above, the online app is that the better of the lot, but you’ll also undergo the Android or Linux app if those options suit your bill. aside from that, confine mind, as there’s no such option as “Startup applications” like Windows, you would like to manually open Skype once to receive notifications after every reboot. Anyway, that’s all from us. If you’re facing any problem then do allow us to know within the comment section below. we’ll definitely attempt to assist you out.